Home Environment PDMA Notes Relief at Shahdara as Ravi Eases, Cautions Balloki Flood Levels to Increase
Environment

PDMA Notes Relief at Shahdara as Ravi Eases, Cautions Balloki Flood Levels to Increase

Share
Share

Lahore – Punjab Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) Director General Irfan Ali Kathia has reported a “decreasing trend” in water flows at Shahdara Headworks on the Ravi River, bringing some relief to areas upstream. However, he cautioned that floodwaters are now rising at Balloki, where the situation remains critical.

Addressing the media, Kathia said the largest deluge in the Ravi has reached Balloki, recording flows of 211,000 cusecs, which also include water from the outfall of Nankana Sahib’s Daek nullah. He warned that the surge would continue to build as it moves downstream and eventually merge with the Chenab River at Sidhnai Headworks, potentially intensifying the flood situation further.

The PDMA chief highlighted the importance of controlled breaches of protective dykes, explaining that these measures were taken to divert water and protect vulnerable communities. He noted that there had been a change in the “time lapses” of water flows, requiring constant monitoring and updated forecasting.

Kathia further predicted that between 6am and 9am tomorrow, water levels at Trimmu Headworks could rise dramatically to 830,000 cusecs. He praised the authorities’ “timely” decision to blow up dykes, saying it had saved lives by diverting excess water away from populated areas.

The PDMA continues to coordinate with district administrations and rescue agencies to manage evacuations, provide relief to displaced families, and strengthen embankments in high-risk zones. Officials have urged the public to remain alert, follow evacuation advisories, and cooperate with rescue teams as rivers continue to swell under the impact of heavy monsoon inflows.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Powerful 7.6 Earthquake Hits Off Japan, Tsunami Alerts Issued

A powerful earthquake struck off Japan’s northern Pacific coast on Monday, sending...

Sri Lanka Floods and Landslides Claim 334 Lives

The death toll from floods and landslides caused by Cyclone Ditwah surged...

Thirteen Killed as Severe Flooding Sweeps Across Thailand

BANGKOK: Heavy rains have caused severe flooding across southern Thailand, killing at...

Typhoon Fung-wong Triggers Flooding in Taiwan, Thousands Evacuated

TAIPEI: Taiwan evacuated more than 8,300 people as a weakened Typhoon Fung-wong...