Home Economy New Delhi Refuses to ‘Bow Down’ in Face of US Tariff Hike
Economy

New Delhi Refuses to ‘Bow Down’ in Face of US Tariff Hike

Share
Share

New Delhi – India will not “bow down” to pressure from Washington and will instead work on expanding its global trade footprint, Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal declared on Friday in his first response to the latest US tariff hike.

The minister’s remarks came after the United States imposed 50% tariffs on a wide range of Indian imports earlier this week. The punitive measures were introduced as part of Washington’s efforts to penalize New Delhi for its continued large-scale purchases of Russian oil, a move the US says undermines international pressure on Moscow to end its war in Ukraine.

Since returning to the White House this year, President Donald Trump has increasingly used tariffs as a strategic policy tool, sparking trade disputes with multiple countries and reshaping global commerce. India has now become the latest target of this strategy, with its exports facing a steep cost barrier in the American market.

Addressing a construction industry event in New Delhi, Goyal said India would not be deterred by the tariffs. “India is always ready if anyone wants to have a free trade agreement with us,” he added, stressing that the country would look to capture new markets and strengthen partnerships with willing trade partners, rather than yield to US pressure.

The comments reflect New Delhi’s determination to project resilience in the face of mounting trade friction with Washington, while signaling that India intends to diversify its global trade relations amid a rapidly shifting geopolitical and economic landscape.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

International Force for Gaza: Indonesia, Morocco, Kosovo Among Contributors

Five Countries Pledge Troops for Gaza Under New International Stabilization Plan as Hamas Rejects Initiative. Indonesia, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania have pledged...

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops from Syria over the next two months, ending a nearly decade-long...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes on Iran could have serious repercussions for the international community. In...

Related Articles

US–India Trade Talks Stir New Calculations for South Asian States

WASHINGTON: Pakistan and several other South Asian countries are closely observing the...

China Eases Some U.S. Tariffs, but Soybean Imports Remain Costly

BEIJING: China has announced a partial suspension of tariffs on U.S. goods,...

Trump Threatens India With Heavy Tariffs Over Continued Russian Oil Imports

US President Donald Trump on Sunday renewed pressure on India to halt...

China Accuses US of Fueling Trade Frictions, Justifies Rare Earth Export Controls

China on Sunday accused the United States of stoking renewed trade tensions...