Home GeoPolitics World’s Top Genocide Scholars Accuse Israel of Genocide in Gaza
GeoPolitics

World’s Top Genocide Scholars Accuse Israel of Genocide in Gaza

Share
Share

The world’s foremost association of genocide scholars has declared that Israel’s actions in Gaza meet the legal definition of genocide, according to a resolution passed by its members, Reuters reported.

The International Association of Genocide Scholars (IAGS), which has around 500 members, said 86 percent of those who voted supported the resolution. It stated: “Israel’s policies and actions in Gaza meet the legal definition of genocide in Article II of the United Nations Convention for the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (1948).”

Israel’s foreign ministry has yet to issue a response. In the past, Israeli officials have rejected accusations of genocide, maintaining that the country’s military operations in Gaza are acts of self-defense. Israel is currently contesting a case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague, where it faces formal charges of committing genocide against Palestinians.

The Israeli foreign ministry has not immediately responded to the development. Israel has consistently rejected allegations of genocide, insisting its actions in Gaza are a legitimate exercise of self-defense against Hamas. Officials have argued that the military’s objective is to weaken militant capabilities, not to target civilians.

The resolution comes against the backdrop of international legal proceedings. Israel is already facing a case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague, brought forward by South Africa, which accuses it of committing genocide against Palestinians in Gaza. While Israel has contested the charges, the ICJ in a preliminary ruling earlier this year ordered it to take all measures within its power to prevent genocidal acts.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal...

Trump Opts for Phone Diplomacy in Talks with Iran Amid Deadlock

Washington: Donald Trump on Sunday indicated that peace talks between Washington and...