Home Asia East & South Asia Russia Shoots Down 221 Ukrainian Drones in Overnight Offensive
East & South AsiaGeoPolitics

Russia Shoots Down 221 Ukrainian Drones in Overnight Offensive

Share
Share

Russia claimed responsibility for shooting down 221 Ukrainian drones overnight in what officials described as a major escalation in aerial warfare between the two nations. Moscow’s defense ministry said its alert systems intercepted and destroyed drones over multiple regions including Bryansk, Smolensk, and Leningrad — the latter encircling St. Petersburg.

The incident has heightened concerns among Russia’s neighbors, particularly Poland, which accused Moscow of allowing drone incursions into its territory earlier in the week. Although Russian officials denied any direct involvement in those incursions, fears of cross-border spillover from the Ukraine conflict are mounting among NATO members and EU states.

Leningrad’s regional governor reported that a fire broke out at the Port of Primorsk following the drone activity, underscoring the potential for collateral damage even when defensive systems succeed in interception. The scale of the attack — the highest number of drones downed in a single night in recent weeks — reflects Ukraine’s increasing reliance on unmanned aerial capabilities as the conflict enters its fourth year.

In reaction, France and Germany announced plans to strengthen air-defense cooperation with Poland, prompting an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council to address concerns about escalating drone warfare and breaches of airspace. Moscow has maintained that its response is purely defensive — but the growing international unease shows how the conflict is gradually drawing in regional actors.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal...

Trump Opts for Phone Diplomacy in Talks with Iran Amid Deadlock

Washington: Donald Trump on Sunday indicated that peace talks between Washington and...