Home Asia East & South Asia Deadly Landslides Hit Malaysia Amid Relentless Monsoon Rains
East & South AsiaEnvironment

Deadly Landslides Hit Malaysia Amid Relentless Monsoon Rains

Share
Share

At least 12 people have been killed in a series of landslides across Malaysia’s Sabah state, following nearly two weeks of relentless downpours that have battered northeastern Borneo. Torrential rains triggered widespread flooding, mudslides, and infrastructure damage in the country’s poorest state, forcing the evacuation of more than 2,000 residents from low-lying areas around the capital Kota Kinabalu and beyond, rescue authorities confirmed.

The deadliest incident occurred Monday on the outskirts of Kota Kinabalu, when a massive debris flow buried an informal settlement, killing eight people—including four children—according to the New Straits Times. On the same day, another landslide struck Gana, about 100 kilometers east of the capital, killing three more, including a 10-year-old girl. Last week, a 97-year-old man was buried under mud in Penampang, underscoring the vulnerability of communities living along unstable slopes.

The intense rainfall, which has pummeled Sabah for over 10 days, overwhelmed drainage systems and destabilized hillsides, exposing the fragility of settlements built near riverbanks and steep terrain. Environmental experts note that Sabah’s geography makes it particularly prone to flooding and landslides during the November-to-March monsoon season, but the increasing frequency and intensity of such disasters point to the growing influence of climate change and poor land-use planning.

Authorities have mounted an extensive disaster response. Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Amidi ordered the mobilization of national agencies to reinforce search and rescue operations, while the Sabah government cancelled Malaysia Day celebrations to focus on relief efforts. Though floodwaters have begun receding, residents expressed fears that further rainfall could spark new landslides and worsen the humanitarian crisis.

For locals like Oliver Golingai, 44, the priority is survival and recovery. “All we can do is try to stay calm as we deal with this flood and mud at home,”. “I have no time to think about any celebrations because the focus is to deal with the flood and clean up this mud.”

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Trump’s controversial “hellhole” comment draws sharp backlash in India

India on Thursday criticised as inappropriate a post by US President Donald...

India Buys Iranian Oil in Yuan, Moving Away from Dollar Payments

NEW DELHI: India has made a significant shift in the mechanism for...

Pakistan Mediates US–Iran Talks Amid Deadlock Over Uranium Enrichment

Islamabad: Pakistan is reportedly playing an active diplomatic role in efforts to...

Indonesia’s “Non-Aligned” Stance Questioned as Defense Ties with U.S. Deepen

Jakarta: Indonesia’s long-standing claim of maintaining a non-aligned foreign policy is increasingly...