Home Asia East & South Asia India, US Commit to Deepening Strategic Dialogue
East & South AsiaWest

India, US Commit to Deepening Strategic Dialogue

Share
Share

NEW YORK: Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio met on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly on Monday, agreeing on the need for sustained engagement to advance cooperation in key areas despite recent strains in bilateral ties.

Jaishankar, posting on X after the meeting, said the two sides had discussed both bilateral and international issues and had agreed on the importance of sustained engagement to progress on priority areas.” He did not provide specifics, but the statement underscored both governments’ efforts to stabilize relations at a time of friction.

The meeting marked the first high-level encounter between Jaishankar and Rubio since US President Donald Trump announced a controversial $100,000 fee for new H-1B visas earlier this month. The move has drawn sharp criticism in India, which relies heavily on the programme to place highly skilled workers in American technology and financial firms.

Tensions have also been heightened by Trump’s decision to impose additional tariffs on Indian exports in response to New Delhi’s continued purchases of Russian oil. Washington has repeatedly warned India over its energy ties with Moscow, while India argues that it must safeguard its economic and strategic interests.

Monday’s talks followed the last meeting between Jaishankar and Rubio in July during a Quad ministerial with Japan and Australia. The Quad framework has become central to both New Delhi and Washington’s shared push to counterbalance China’s influence in the Indo-Pacific.

Diplomatic observers said the discussions in New York suggest that while differences over trade and energy remain unresolved, both India and the United States see value in maintaining dialogue. With Washington keen to keep New Delhi close in its broader Asia strategy, and India seeking to diversify partnerships amid global turbulence, the two sides are expected to keep engagement channels open.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

International Force for Gaza: Indonesia, Morocco, Kosovo Among Contributors

Five Countries Pledge Troops for Gaza Under New International Stabilization Plan as Hamas Rejects Initiative. Indonesia, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania have pledged...

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops from Syria over the next two months, ending a nearly decade-long...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes on Iran could have serious repercussions for the international community. In...

Related Articles

Bangladesh Holds State Funeral for Former PM Khaleda Zia

Bangladesh on Wednesday bid a final farewell to former prime minister Khaleda...

Bangladesh PM Hopeful Returns After 17 Years in Exile Ahead of Polls

DHAKA: Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) acting chairman Tarique Rahman returned to Dhaka...

Russian Airstrike in Ukraine Kills Three, Causes Power Outages

Russian missile and drone attacks on Ukraine on Tuesday killed at least...

Trump Confirms US Plans for Oil Taken from Venezuela

US President Donald Trump announced on Monday that the United States will...