Home West Trump Welcomes Putin’s Proposal to Cap Nuclear Weapons
West

Trump Welcomes Putin’s Proposal to Cap Nuclear Weapons

Share
Share

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Sunday cautiously welcomed Russian President Vladimir Putin’s proposal to maintain limits on deployed strategic nuclear weapons, saying it “sounds like a good idea.” The offer comes as the 2010 New START accord, which restricts the size of the world’s two largest nuclear arsenals, is set to expire in February.

Speaking to reporters before leaving the White House, Trump responded positively when asked about Putin’s proposal, which would see both Washington and Moscow voluntarily extend the limits even without a formal treaty. Russia’s UN Ambassador, Vassily Nebenzia, confirmed last week that Moscow is still waiting for a clear response from Washington.

The possibility of such an agreement stands in sharp contrast to the recent rise in US-Russia tensions. Since Trump and Putin’s meeting in Alaska in August, relations have been strained over reports of Russian drones intruding into NATO airspace and ongoing disputes over the Ukraine war.

In a video message released on Sunday, Putin warned that Washington’s consideration of supplying Ukraine with long-range Tomahawk missiles could shatter any chance of improved relations. “This will lead to the destruction of our relations, or at least the positive trends that have emerged,” he cautioned. The Tomahawk cruise missiles, with a range of 2,500 kilometres, would place much of European Russia, including Moscow, within Kyiv’s potential reach.

US Vice President JD Vance confirmed last month that Ukraine had formally requested the missiles, though officials say a final decision has yet to be made. One US official and three other sources noted that the Trump administration faces logistical hurdles, as most current Tomahawk inventories are committed to the US Navy and other operational uses.

Trump, who has publicly expressed frustration with Putin for failing to move toward ending the Ukraine war, avoided direct comment on the missile issue on Sunday. Instead, he focused on his tour of the US Navy aircraft carrier George H.W. Bush off the coast of Virginia and prepared to deliver remarks aboard the USS Harry S. Truman later in the day.

If Ukraine were to receive the Tomahawks, analysts warn, it would mark a major escalation in the conflict, leaving the Kremlin itself within striking distance. For now, however, the spotlight remains on whether Washington and Moscow can find common ground to keep the world’s most powerful nuclear stockpiles under restraint beyond February.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Keir Starmer signals possible ban on some pro-Palestinian marches

LONDON: Keir Starmer said in an interview broadcast on Saturday that banning...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal...

Trump Opts for Phone Diplomacy in Talks with Iran Amid Deadlock

Washington: Donald Trump on Sunday indicated that peace talks between Washington and...