Home GeoPolitics ICC Raises Alarm Over Possible War Crimes in Sudan
GeoPolitics

ICC Raises Alarm Over Possible War Crimes in Sudan

Share
Share

THE HAGUE: The International Criminal Court (ICC) has expressed grave concern over reports of atrocities in the Sudanese city of El-Fasher, warning that the violence may amount to war crimes and crimes against humanity.

According to the ICC prosecutor’s office, El-Fasher endured 18 months of siege, bombardment, and starvation before falling under the control of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) on October 26. This takeover marked the collapse of the Sudanese army’s last major position in Darfur.

In a statement, the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP) voiced “profound alarm and deepest concern” over mass killings, sexual violence, and other crimes allegedly committed by the RSF. The OTP said, “These atrocities are part of a broader pattern of violence that has afflicted the entire Darfur region since April 2023.” It added that, if verified, such acts could constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity under the Rome Statute, the founding charter of the ICC.

The United Nations estimates that more than 65,000 civilians have fled El-Fasher, with around 5,000 seeking refuge in the nearby town of Tawila, while tens of thousands remain trapped amid ongoing violence. Before the RSF assault, the city had a population of around 260,000.

Reports after the RSF’s capture indicate executions, sexual assaults, looting, and abductions of civilians and aid workers, while communications remain largely cut off.

The RSF traces its origins to the Janjaweed militia — accused of genocide in Darfur two decades ago. The renewed violence has raised fears of a return to similar atrocities.

Last month, the ICC convicted a senior Janjaweed commander for war crimes and crimes against humanity, reinforcing the court’s commitment to accountability in Sudan.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal...

Trump Opts for Phone Diplomacy in Talks with Iran Amid Deadlock

Washington: Donald Trump on Sunday indicated that peace talks between Washington and...