Home GeoPolitics Kazakhstan Set to Join Abraham Accords, Announces Trump
GeoPolitics

Kazakhstan Set to Join Abraham Accords, Announces Trump

Share
Share

US President Donald Trump announced on Thursday that Kazakhstan is set to join the Abraham Accords, paving the way for the Central Asian nation to formalise its relationship with Israel and enter a broader regional framework involving Muslim-majority states.

The announcement followed what Trump described as a three-way call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev. Trump, posting on Truth Social, said a formal signing ceremony would be held soon, adding that “many more countries” were seeking to become part of what he called a “club of STRENGTH.”

The Kazakh government later confirmed that discussions had reached the final stage, framing the expected accession as a continuation of its long-standing diplomatic philosophy. “Our anticipated accession to the Abraham Accords represents a natural and logical continuation of Kazakhstan’s foreign policy course grounded in dialogue, mutual respect, and regional stability,” the statement read.

Although Kazakhstan already maintains full diplomatic and economic relations with Israel, US officials argued that joining the Accords would elevate those ties. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the move would expand cooperation beyond what currently exists. “It’s an enhanced relationship,” Rubio said. “It is a partnership that brings economic development and collaboration on a wide range of issues with all the other countries in the accord.”

Trump met Tokayev earlier in the day at the White House, alongside the leaders of Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. The gathering underscored Washington’s renewed interest in Central Asia as the US seeks to counter Russian influence and China’s deepening foothold in the region. During the meeting, Trump hinted that more Central Asian states could soon be joining the Accords, saying, “Some of the countries represented here are going to be joining … and those announcements will be made over the next little while.”

Separately, US special envoy Steve Witkoff told a business forum in Florida that he was returning to Washington for an imminent announcement, though he did not name the country involved. Axios later reported that the announcement would pertain to Kazakhstan. A second source familiar with the matter said Washington believes Kazakhstan’s entry could help revive momentum around the Abraham Accords, which has slowed significantly since the Gaza conflict erupted.

Trump has repeatedly expressed his intention to expand the Accords in his second term. The initiative, launched in 2020, saw the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain normalize relations with Israel, followed by Morocco later that year. Despite Trump’s optimism that Saudi Arabia might soon join, Riyadh has maintained that any move must be tied to a meaningful pathway toward Palestinian statehood—something it insists has not yet materialized.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is expected to visit the White House on November 18, though officials say no breakthrough is currently anticipated.

Other countries in the region—including Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan—have also been mentioned as potential future members, due to their close political and economic ties with Israel. For Trump, who has described the Abraham Accords as one of his landmark foreign policy achievements, expanding the framework remains a key diplomatic priority.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops from Syria over the next two months, ending a nearly decade-long...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes on Iran could have serious repercussions for the international community. In...

U.S. Deploys Largest Air Power Force to Middle East Since 2003 Iraq Invasion

The United States has moved an unprecedented concentration of air and naval assets to the Middle East, marking the largest deployment of U.S....

Related Articles

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes...

U.S. Deploys Largest Air Power Force to Middle East Since 2003 Iraq Invasion

The United States has moved an unprecedented concentration of air and naval...

Iran Launches Missiles in Hormuz Amid Nuclear Negotiations

Iran conducted live missile drills in the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday,...