Home GeoPolitics Trump Signals Possible F-35 Fighter Jet Deal with Saudi Arabia
GeoPolitics

Trump Signals Possible F-35 Fighter Jet Deal with Saudi Arabia

Share
Share

US President Donald Trump on Friday said he is considering a potential deal to supply Saudi Arabia with F-35 stealth fighter jets, manufactured by Lockheed Martin. Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump stated, “They wanna buy a lot of jets. I’m looking at that. They’ve asked me to look at it. They want to buy a lot of ‘35’ — but they want to buy actually more than that, fighter jets.”

The potential arms sale coincides with plans for Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to visit the White House next week. During the visit, the two leaders are expected to sign a series of economic and defence agreements. Trump described the upcoming meetings as “more than meeting, we’re honouring” Saudi Arabia.

Trump also reiterated his hope that Saudi Arabia would join the Abraham Accords, the diplomatic framework that has normalized relations between Israel and several Muslim-majority nations. However, Riyadh has so far resisted joining without a clear roadmap toward Palestinian statehood.

Concerns have been raised within the US regarding the F-35 deal. A Pentagon intelligence report, cited by the New York Times, warned that approving the sale could risk the aircraft’s technology being acquired by China. Officials familiar with the report have emphasized potential security implications of transferring such advanced fighter jets.

The discussions between Trump and the crown prince are also expected to include a broader US-Saudi defence agreement. Reports in the Financial Times indicate that Saudi officials are seeking formal US guarantees for the kingdom’s defence, as well as access to advanced American weaponry beyond the F-35 jets.

Saudi Arabia has long been one of the largest customers for US arms, and the partnership between the two countries has been anchored in decades of mutual interests: Riyadh provides oil, while Washington ensures security. Analysts say the F-35 deal, if approved, would represent one of the most significant arms transactions in recent years and could further deepen US-Saudi defence ties.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal...

Trump Opts for Phone Diplomacy in Talks with Iran Amid Deadlock

Washington: Donald Trump on Sunday indicated that peace talks between Washington and...