Home West Australian PM Calls for Stronger Hate Speech Laws in Wake of Bondi Shooting
West

Australian PM Calls for Stronger Hate Speech Laws in Wake of Bondi Shooting

Share
Share

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese on Thursday announced plans for a comprehensive crackdown on hate speech following the deadly shooting at a Jewish holiday event on Sydney’s Bondi Beach. The announcement coincided with the funeral of the youngest of the 15 victims, 10-year-old Matilda, who was remembered by mourners as a “ray of sunshine.”

The Bondi attack, which occurred on Sunday during a Hanukkah celebration, involved a father-and-son duo allegedly inspired by Islamic State ideology. Sajid Akram, 50, and his son Naveed Akram, 24, opened fire on the crowd, leaving the nation in shock and raising concerns over rising anti-Semitism in Australia. Sajid was killed by police at the scene, while Naveed faces 59 charges, including murder and terrorism offences.

Albanese’s announcement comes after criticism from the Jewish community that the government has not done enough to tackle anti-Semitism, particularly following Israel’s military campaign in Gaza. The prime minister said his administration would introduce legislation to make it easier to prosecute those spreading hate speech and inciting violence. Proposed reforms include harsher penalties, simplified visa cancellation processes for offenders, and mechanisms to target organisations led by individuals engaging in hate speech.

“Australians are shocked and angry. I am angry. It is clear we need to do more to combat this evil scourge,” Albanese said at a news conference, emphasising the government’s commitment to curbing intolerance. The Labour government has previously denounced anti-Semitism, criminalised hate speech, and expelled the Iranian ambassador earlier this year following accusations of state-directed anti-Semitic arson attacks in Sydney and Melbourne.

Anti-Semitic incidents have continued to rise. On Wednesday, a 19-year-old man from Sydney was charged after allegedly threatening a Jewish passenger on a flight from Bali, making violent gestures and threats. The Australian Federal Police confirmed that the man knew the victim was affiliated with the Jewish community.

The funeral of 10-year-old Matilda, whose middle name was Bee, was marked by yellow decorations, bee-themed toys, and stickers, reflecting her love of animals and dancing. Rabbi Yehoram Ulman described her death as a tragic loss for all, likening it to losing a child of their own. Hundreds of mourners attended the service, with others watching outside on large screens due to space constraints.

Authorities are investigating potential links between the attackers and Islamic State networks in Australia, as well as alleged connections to militants in the Philippines. While the pair spent a month in the Philippines in November, officials there have found no evidence that they received military training. The Philippine National Security Council stressed that no confirmation exists regarding any operational ties to militant groups.

In the aftermath of the Bondi shooting, New South Wales state leaders plan to recall parliament next week to consider urgent reforms to gun laws. Meanwhile, the federal government has ruled out establishing a Royal Commission into the attack for the time being.

Albanese reiterated that combating hate speech and extremist ideologies would remain a top priority, framing the proposed measures as essential for the safety of all Australians and the protection of minority communities.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops from Syria over the next two months, ending a nearly decade-long...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes on Iran could have serious repercussions for the international community. In...

U.S. Deploys Largest Air Power Force to Middle East Since 2003 Iraq Invasion

The United States has moved an unprecedented concentration of air and naval assets to the Middle East, marking the largest deployment of U.S....

Related Articles

Russian Airstrike in Ukraine Kills Three, Causes Power Outages

Russian missile and drone attacks on Ukraine on Tuesday killed at least...

Trump Confirms US Plans for Oil Taken from Venezuela

US President Donald Trump announced on Monday that the United States will...

Amid Falling Poll Numbers, Trump Touts Wins in Rapid-Fire Address

US President Donald Trump delivered a rare evening address from the White...

Australian Police Identify Father and Son as Suspects in Bondi Jewish Festival Shooting

Australian police confirmed on Monday that the two alleged gunmen responsible for...