Home West Asia Israel Claims Hamas Breached Gaza Ceasefire Agreement
West Asia

Israel Claims Hamas Breached Gaza Ceasefire Agreement

Share
Share

JERUSALEM / ANKARA: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday accused Hamas of violating the Gaza ceasefire following an explosion that wounded an Israeli military officer in the southern Rafah area. Netanyahu’s office stated that Hamas must fully comply with the October truce, which envisioned the group’s removal from power in Gaza and the “demilitarisation and deradicalisation” of the territory. “Israel will respond accordingly,” the statement added, signaling potential retaliatory measures.

The Israeli military reported that an explosive device detonated near a military vehicle in Rafah, lightly injuring one officer. Hamas, however, denied responsibility for the blast, claiming it occurred in an area under Israeli control and was caused by unexploded ordnance left behind by Israeli forces. Hamas official Mahmoud Merdawi said mediators had been informed of the cause.

In a separate development, the Israeli army confirmed the death of Abdel Hay Zaqut, a financial official in Hamas’s armed wing, who was killed in a strike on December 13 alongside military commander Raed Saad. Israel described the operation, conducted jointly by the Israeli army and Shin Bet security agency, as targeting key figures involved in the October 7, 2023 attacks. Zaqut’s role in Hamas’s financial operations was highlighted by the Israeli army, while Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya had previously confirmed Saad’s death without naming Zaqut.

Meanwhile, efforts to advance the ceasefire continued diplomatically. Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan met with Hamas political bureau officials in Ankara to discuss moving the truce to its “second phase.” A Turkish foreign ministry source said Hamas representatives claimed they had fulfilled their obligations under the ceasefire but accused Israel of continued targeting in Gaza, which they said hindered progress. They also raised concerns about insufficient humanitarian aid, calling for additional medical supplies, housing equipment, and fuel.

Although violence has decreased since the October 10 truce, clashes and accusations of violations persist. Gaza’s health ministry reports that over 400 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli strikes since the ceasefire, and millions have been displaced amid the ongoing humanitarian crisis.

The situation remains closely tied to the US-backed 20-point peace plan proposed by President Donald Trump in September. The plan envisions an initial ceasefire followed by broader steps toward peace, including Hamas disarmament and a phased Israeli withdrawal. However, Hamas has insisted it will only disarm if a Palestinian state is established, leaving critical elements of the plan unresolved and the truce fragile.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran Launches Missiles in Hormuz Amid Nuclear Negotiations

Iran conducted live missile drills in the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday, demonstrating its readiness to close the strategic waterway if ordered by...

Ukraine War Talks Set to Resume in Geneva

GENEVA: Ukrainian and Russian negotiators were scheduled to resume a second round of peace talks in Geneva on Wednesday, as the United States...

Epstein Files: US Justice Department Reviews 5.2 Million Pages

The US Justice Department has disclosed that it still has 5.2 million pages of files linked to Jeffrey Epstein to examine, according to...

Related Articles

Iran Launches Missiles in Hormuz Amid Nuclear Negotiations

Iran conducted live missile drills in the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday,...

Nearly 100 Countries and Three Blocs Condemn West Bank Annexation

JERUSALEM: Israeli authorities barred a senior imam of the Al Aqsa Mosque...

Iran Government Proposes Dialogue Amid University Protests

DUBAI — Protests over Iran’s soaring cost of living spread on Tuesday...

14 Countries Condemn New Israeli Settlements in West Bank

Fourteen countries, including Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Spain, and others, have condemned...