North Korea has launched at least one ballistic missile toward its eastern waters, South Korea’s military reported on Friday. The launch occurred just days after US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth visited Seoul for annual security talks, raising renewed concerns about regional tensions.
Short-range missile travels 700km
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the missile, believed to be short-range, travelled around 700 kilometres before landing in the East Sea (Sea of Japan).
Japan also confirmed the launch and said the projectile likely fell outside its exclusive economic zone.
This latest test follows a series of provocations from Pyongyang, including the firing of 10 rounds of artillery into western waters earlier in the week.
Launch comes amid nuclear submarine discussions
The missile test also comes about a week after US President Donald Trump gave South Korea approval to pursue the construction of a nuclear-powered submarine, a major upgrade to Seoul’s defence capabilities.
South Korea is seeking enriched uranium from the United States to fuel the submarine, which it intends to build domestically, a senior South Korean presidential official said.
Experts say the submarine plan will place South Korea among a small group of nations operating such advanced naval vessels.
Diplomatic outreach stalled despite leadership change
Both Trump and South Korean President Lee Jae Myung have expressed interest in resuming dialogue with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un since taking office earlier this year.
However, Kim has refused to engage with Washington or Seoul, maintaining his stance since the collapse of US–North Korea talks in 2019.
Kim has stated that he is open to discussions only if the US drops its demand for full denuclearisation. He has consistently declared North Korea an “irreversible” nuclear state.
Pyongyang strengthens ties with Russia and China
North Korea continues to deepen military cooperation with Russia and China.
Last month, Kim attended a major parade in Pyongyang alongside high-ranking officials from both countries. The event showcased new weaponry, including a powerful intercontinental ballistic missile.
This week, North Korean and Russian military officials met in the capital.
According to state media KCNA, Pak Yong Il, vice director of the KPA’s General Political Bureau, held talks with a Russian delegation led by Vice Defence Minister Viktor Goremykin.
The discussions focused on expanding ties under the “deepened bilateral relations” agreed by Kim and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Seoul: North Korea sending troops to Russia
South Korea’s intelligence agency said it has detected signs of recruitment and training activities in North Korea, suggesting the possibility of additional troop deployments to Russia.
Seoul estimates that Pyongyang has already sent around 15,000 soldiers to support Russia’s war in Ukraine, with many reportedly killed in action.
Additionally, the National Intelligence Service believes North Korea has dispatched about 5,000 military construction workers since September to assist with reconstruction projects in Russia.
The missile launch marks yet another escalation from Pyongyang as regional security challenges continue to intensify.
Leave a comment