Home Innovation Technology Russia Warns It May Impose Full Ban on WhatsApp
TechnologyWest

Russia Warns It May Impose Full Ban on WhatsApp

Share
Share

MOSCOW: Russian authorities said on Friday that they are weighing a complete nationwide ban on WhatsApp, alleging that the messaging platform has failed to curb criminal activity on its network. The warning marks the latest step in Moscow’s campaign to push citizens away from Western-owned technology and onto state-approved digital services.

The announcement follows earlier restrictions imposed in August, when Russia blocked users from making calls through WhatsApp. That move formed part of a broader crackdown on Western social media platforms — a crackdown that critics describe as an effort to tighten information control and redirect Russians toward domestic alternatives.

In a statement released on Friday, Russia’s communications regulator, Roskomnadzor, accused WhatsApp of enabling illicit activity. The watchdog claimed the platform had been used to “organise and carry out terrorist acts in the country, to recruit perpetrators, and for fraud and other crimes against our citizens.”

Roskomnadzor said the government could take the drastic step of cutting off the service entirely if the company fails to comply with Russian legal requirements. “If the messenger fails to comply with Russian legislation, it will be completely blocked,” the agency warned.

Meta — the US-based parent company of WhatsApp — did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

WhatsApp remains one of Russia’s two most widely used messaging platforms, alongside Telegram, despite increasing restrictions on Western digital services. A full ban could have significant implications for millions of users who rely on the app for communication, business, and access to information.

As Moscow continues tightening its control over the digital landscape, analysts say the threat against WhatsApp is part of a larger effort to isolate Russian cyberspace and expand the reach of state-linked tech companies.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Trump Seeks to Invalidate Biden Orders Signed via Autopen

US President Donald Trump has moved to void a wide range of executive actions issued during Joe Biden’s presidency, declaring that any document...

Attack from Afghanistan kills three Chinese nationals in Tajikistan

At least three Chinese workers were killed in Tajikistan on Thursday in an attack launched from Afghanistan near the shared border, Tajik authorities...

Two National Guard soldiers shot near White House; Trump calls it an act of terror

Two US National Guard soldiers were critically wounded on Wednesday in a bold daytime shooting just a few blocks from the White House....

Related Articles

Fire at COP30 Site in Belem Brought Under Control; No Injuries

A fire that prompted the evacuation of the COP30 climate summit in...

Ukraine Set to Acquire 100 Rafale Fighter Jets from France

Ukraine has signed a major defense accord with France to acquire up...

US Military Confirms Aircraft Carrier Deployed to Caribbean

WASHINGTON: The US military announced on Sunday that an aircraft carrier strike...

UK Plans Temporary Protections in Major Asylum System Overhaul

Britain announced sweeping reforms to its asylum system on Saturday, revealing plans...