Home West Russian Airstrike in Ukraine Kills Three, Causes Power Outages
West

Russian Airstrike in Ukraine Kills Three, Causes Power Outages

Share
Share

Russian missile and drone attacks on Ukraine on Tuesday killed at least three people, including a four-year-old child, and caused widespread power outages in the country’s western regions. The strikes prompted Poland, a NATO member bordering western Ukraine, to scramble jets to defend its airspace, highlighting the escalating tensions in the region amid ongoing US-led peace talks.

The attacks targeted energy infrastructure across at least 13 regions, according to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, just days after another round of international discussions aimed at ending the nearly four-year-old conflict. Zelenskiy condemned the strikes, saying on X that Russian President Vladimir Putin “still cannot accept that he must stop killing” and called on the international community to increase pressure on Moscow.

The casualties included a child in the central Zhytomyr region, one person in Khmelnytskyi in western Ukraine, and a third individual outside Kyiv. At least five others were wounded in the capital. Ukrainian authorities said the strikes severely impacted power grids and disrupted energy supplies, leaving many areas in darkness.

Russia’s defence ministry stated that the attacks targeted Ukrainian energy and military facilities and claimed the capture of two villages along the front line. Kyiv did not immediately confirm these territorial claims, which it often disputes. The intensification of strikes on Ukrainian energy and logistics is widely seen as Moscow’s attempt to pressure Kyiv to alter the terms of a US-backed peace agreement, while Ukraine has simultaneously targeted Russian energy exports.

In a related development, Ukrainian drone attacks overnight reportedly caused fires at industrial and fuel oil facilities in Russia’s southern Stavropol region and the port of Taman in Krasnodar, though the fires were extinguished, regional officials said.

Concerns have also grown over the safety of the defunct Chernobyl nuclear power station. Plant director Sergiy Tarakanov warned that repeated Russian strikes could cause the collapse of the internal radiation shelter, which had already been damaged by previous attacks. Tarakanov said full restoration could take three to four years, and even a nearby missile or drone strike could trigger a “mini-earthquake” and severe radiological consequences. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) had previously warned that the outer radiation shell had lost its primary safety functions after earlier Russian hits.

The attacks underscore the continued volatility in Ukraine, with Russian forces intensifying military operations while targeting critical infrastructure, and raise urgent concerns about civilian safety, regional energy security, and the potential for nuclear hazards.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops from Syria over the next two months, ending a nearly decade-long...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes on Iran could have serious repercussions for the international community. In...

U.S. Deploys Largest Air Power Force to Middle East Since 2003 Iraq Invasion

The United States has moved an unprecedented concentration of air and naval assets to the Middle East, marking the largest deployment of U.S....

Related Articles

Trump Confirms US Plans for Oil Taken from Venezuela

US President Donald Trump announced on Monday that the United States will...

Australian PM Calls for Stronger Hate Speech Laws in Wake of Bondi Shooting

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese on Thursday announced plans for a comprehensive...

Amid Falling Poll Numbers, Trump Touts Wins in Rapid-Fire Address

US President Donald Trump delivered a rare evening address from the White...

Australian Police Identify Father and Son as Suspects in Bondi Jewish Festival Shooting

Australian police confirmed on Monday that the two alleged gunmen responsible for...