WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that he is dispatching his envoy, Steve Witkoff, to Moscow next week for talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin as part of an accelerating effort to finalise a deal to end the war in Ukraine.
In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said that only “a few remaining points of disagreement” stood in the way of a breakthrough, even as European leaders voiced skepticism and Russia continued its missile barrage on Ukrainian cities. He added that he hoped to meet both Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky “soon,” but stressed such meetings would only occur “when the deal to end this War is FINAL or in its final stages.”
Speaking later aboard Air Force One, Trump told reporters that his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, may join Witkoff in Moscow “depending on the timing” of the meetings.
According to officials familiar with the negotiations, an initial US proposal perceived as strongly favourable to Russia has been replaced with a more balanced plan that incorporates additional Ukrainian positions. One official told AFP the new framework was “significantly better,” though “delicate” issues remain unresolved.
European leaders, however, remain wary of Trump’s optimism. French President Emmanuel Macron said there was “clearly no Russian willingness” to engage seriously with the revised proposal or to discuss the possibility of a ceasefire.
Intense diplomatic exchanges have been ongoing since the weekend, when Ukrainian and US negotiators met in Geneva to discuss Trump’s earlier 28-point plan, a document that had raised alarm in Kyiv and European capitals for endorsing several Russian demands.
Fresh rounds of discussions involving US and Russian delegations took place in Abu Dhabi this week, US media reported. Meanwhile, leaders from a coalition of 30 Ukraine-supporting nations convened virtually on Tuesday to assess the rapidly shifting diplomatic landscape.
US negotiator Dan Driscoll struck an optimistic tone after talks with Russian officials. “The talks are going well and we remain optimistic,” his spokesperson said. The White House likewise reported “tremendous progress,” but noted that a handful of “delicate but not insurmountable” issues still needed to be addressed.
Despite the diplomatic momentum, the war on the ground continued. On Tuesday night, Russian forces carried out a major strike on Zaporizhzhia, damaging at least seven apartment blocks and hospitalising a dozen people, according to regional authorities.
A day earlier, Kyiv was rocked by multiple explosions beginning around 1am local time as waves of Russian drones and missiles triggered fires in residential buildings. City officials confirmed seven deaths. AFP reporters described thick plumes of smoke illuminated red and orange by air defence fire, while Kyiv’s residents rushed into underground metro stations for safety.
Trump has repeatedly claimed he could end the Ukraine war “within 24 hours,” and last week said he expected Kyiv to approve his proposal by Thursday — the US Thanksgiving holiday. This deadline appears unlikely to be met.
The initial US plan included sweeping concessions to Russia, including barring Ukraine from ever joining NATO and ceding newly occupied territories to Moscow. The revised proposal raises Ukraine’s permitted maximum troop strength from 600,000 to 800,000, a change Ukrainian officials view positively.
Ukrainian negotiator Rustem Umerov said on Tuesday that Ukraine and the United States now share a “common understanding on the core” of the proposed deal. Remaining issues, he said, should be resolved in direct talks “at the earliest suitable date.”
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer cautioned, “There’s still a long way to go and a tough road ahead,” underscoring the cautious tone from Europe.
Russia currently occupies roughly 20 per cent of Ukrainian territory, much of it devastated by two years of fighting. The conflict has killed tens of thousands of soldiers and civilians, and displaced millions across the region.
Ukrainian army sergeant Ivan Zadontsev told AFP that negotiations were a welcome development. “We also are getting tired of war. We need a break,” he said. But he added that neither the US nor EU proposals fully aligned with “Ukraine’s national interests,” signaling potential obstacles ahead as talks continue.
Leave a comment