Home West Asia Yemen Drone Strike on Israel Leaves at Least 20 Injured
West Asia

Yemen Drone Strike on Israel Leaves at Least 20 Injured

Share
Share

At least 20 people were injured on Wednesday when a drone launched from Yemen struck a hotel in Israel’s Red Sea resort city of Eilat, near the borders with Jordan and Egypt, according to the Israeli ambulance service Magen David Adom. Officials said two people were critically injured, while others sustained moderate to minor wounds.

The Israeli military confirmed that a drone originating from Yemen fell in Eilat, noting that interception attempts had been made but were unsuccessful. Later statements indicated the attack specifically targeted a hotel in the city. Israel Hayom, citing an initial investigation, reported that air defence systems failed to intercept the incoming drone, raising fresh concerns about the vulnerability of southern Israel’s defences.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, speaking with the mayor of Eilat, said he had discussed with military commanders ways to strengthen the city’s aerial defence capabilities. Defence Minister Israel Katz warned the Houthis in a statement on X, declaring that the group would “learn the hard way” if it continued such attacks.

Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi movement quickly claimed responsibility for the strike, saying it marked the second attack on Eilat within 24 hours. Earlier this week, another Houthi drone crashed in the city’s hotel zone, causing property damage but no casualties. The Houthis have repeatedly targeted Israel with long-range missiles and drones in what they describe as acts of solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza. While most projectiles have been intercepted or fallen short, several have reached Israeli territory in recent months.

Israel has responded by launching airstrikes against Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen, including Hodeidah port — a vital gateway for the country’s trade and aid supplies. The escalation underscores the widening regional fallout from the Gaza war, with the Houthis extending their operations beyond Yemen’s borders. Since October 2023, the group has also been targeting international vessels in the Red Sea, threatening global shipping lanes and raising tensions with Western naval forces.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops from Syria over the next two months, ending a nearly decade-long...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes on Iran could have serious repercussions for the international community. In...

U.S. Deploys Largest Air Power Force to Middle East Since 2003 Iraq Invasion

The United States has moved an unprecedented concentration of air and naval assets to the Middle East, marking the largest deployment of U.S....

Related Articles

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes...

Iran Launches Missiles in Hormuz Amid Nuclear Negotiations

Iran conducted live missile drills in the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday,...

Nearly 100 Countries and Three Blocs Condemn West Bank Annexation

JERUSALEM: Israeli authorities barred a senior imam of the Al Aqsa Mosque...