Home GeoPolitics Tensions Rise as Iran Threatens Action After Ambassador Expelled from Australia
GeoPolitics

Tensions Rise as Iran Threatens Action After Ambassador Expelled from Australia

Share
Share

Iran has pledged reciprocal action after Australia expelled its ambassador in Canberra, accusing Tehran of orchestrating anti-Jewish attacks in the country.

On Tuesday, Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei “absolutely rejected” the allegations, warning that “any inappropriate and unjustified action on a diplomatic level will have a reciprocal reaction.” He further suggested that the move was linked to domestic politics in Australia, including large-scale weekend protests against Israel’s war on Gaza, which organizers described as the biggest pro-Palestine demonstrations in Australia’s history.

“It seems that this action is taken in order to compensate for the limited criticism the Australian side has directed at the Zionist regime [Israel],” Baghaei said.

Earlier in the day, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese claimed Iran was behind two arson attacks: the torching of a kosher café in Sydney in October 2024, and a major fire at a Melbourne synagogue in December. While no casualties were reported, both incidents caused extensive damage.

Australia’s decision also comes against the backdrop of strained relations, with Canberra having already imposed sanctions on Tehran in 2024 following Iranian strikes on Israeli territory. Declaring Iranian envoy Ahmad Sadeghi “persona non grata,” Australia ordered him and three other officials to leave the country within seven days.

Foreign Minister Penny Wong stressed the gravity of the move, noting it was the first time Australia had expelled an ambassador since World War II. In a further escalation, Australia also withdrew its ambassador from Tehran and suspended operations at its embassy, which has been open since 1968.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal...

Trump Opts for Phone Diplomacy in Talks with Iran Amid Deadlock

Washington: Donald Trump on Sunday indicated that peace talks between Washington and...