Home GeoPolitics Trump Faces Diplomatic Pressure as Allies Recognize Palestinian State
GeoPoliticsUNWest

Trump Faces Diplomatic Pressure as Allies Recognize Palestinian State

Share
Share

UNITED NATIONS: Growing frustration with Washington’s handling of the Gaza war spilled into the UN General Assembly this week, as key US allies — including Britain, France, Canada, and Australia — formally recognized a Palestinian state, escalating pressure on President Donald Trump and testing the durability of his pro-Israel policy.

Trump entered his second term promising to end the conflict between Israel and Hamas, but nearly two years on, Israel’s expanding military campaign in Gaza has underscored Washington’s unwillingness to restrain its closest regional ally. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s strike on Hamas leaders in Qatar earlier this month blindsided the White House and derailed a US-backed ceasefire and hostage deal, fueling perceptions that Trump has been sidelined diplomatically.

Israel’s subsequent ground assault in Gaza City has triggered global outrage, but Washington — Israel’s largest arms supplier and diplomatic shield at the UN — has offered little pushback. The US recently vetoed a Security Council resolution calling for an immediate and permanent ceasefire, further isolating Washington as international momentum builds for Palestinian recognition.

French President Emmanuel Macron openly linked Trump’s Nobel Peace Prize ambitions to halting the Gaza war, arguing that only Washington has the leverage to pressure Israel. Analysts say Trump’s reluctance to act stems from either tacit acceptance of Netanyahu’s hardline policies or recognition of the conflict’s intractable complexity. Others point to domestic distractions, including political scandals and internal deployments of US forces, that may have shifted his focus away from the Middle East.

Despite the criticism, Trump used his UNGA address to reaffirm unwavering support for Israel, denouncing Palestinian recognition as a “reward for atrocities” by Hamas. His stance has drawn a sharp contrast with allies who argue statehood recognition is essential to preserving a two-state solution.

Behind closed doors, however, Trump convened Muslim leaders — including those from Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, Turkiye, and Indonesia — to discuss a post-war roadmap for Gaza. According to US officials, the plan envisions phased Israeli withdrawal, regional peacekeeping deployments, and reconstruction efforts led by Arab states. The Palestinian Authority would be given a governance role, while Hamas would be excluded.

The stakes extend beyond Gaza. Netanyahu’s aggressive campaign risks destabilizing the Abraham Accords, a signature Trump-era initiative that normalized relations between Israel and several Arab states. Angered by talk of West Bank annexation, the UAE has threatened to suspend its participation, while Saudi Arabia is unlikely to proceed with normalization under current conditions.

For now, Trump appears unwilling to wield Washington’s considerable leverage over Israel, leaving the Gaza conflict unresolved and his credibility as a global mediator in doubt. As international recognition of Palestine grows, analysts warn the US risks diplomatic isolation and diminishing influence in shaping the region’s future.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Keir Starmer signals possible ban on some pro-Palestinian marches

LONDON: Keir Starmer said in an interview broadcast on Saturday that banning...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal...