Home Asia East & South Asia PM Shehbaz Sharif Engages Trump in Talks on Regional Security and Counterterrorism
East & South Asia

PM Shehbaz Sharif Engages Trump in Talks on Regional Security and Counterterrorism

Share
Share

In a landmark meeting at the White House on the early morning of September 25, Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif and US President Donald Trump held their first-ever face-to-face talks in Washington, focusing on regional security, counterterrorism cooperation, and several other pressing issues, according to a press release from the Prime Minister’s Office.

The Pakistani delegation included Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir, while President Trump was accompanied by Vice President J.D. Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

During the discussions, PM Shehbaz expressed gratitude to President Trump for publicly recognizing Pakistan’s significant role in counterterrorism efforts and emphasized the importance of deepening collaboration in security and intelligence sharing to further stabilize the region. The Prime Minister credited Trump with helping to “avert a major catastrophe in South Asia.”

In a gesture of goodwill, PM Shehbaz extended a formal invitation to President Trump for an official visit to Pakistan at a time convenient for the US President.

On Middle East affairs, PM Shehbaz praised Trump’s swift efforts to bring about a ceasefire in Gaza. He highlighted Trump’s initiative earlier that week, which brought key Muslim world leaders together in New York for a comprehensive dialogue aimed at restoring peace in Gaza and the West Bank.

Additionally, the Prime Minister thanked Trump for the recent tariff agreement between the US and Pakistan, expressing hope that under Trump’s leadership, bilateral relations would strengthen to the mutual benefit of both nations. He also encouraged American companies to invest in Pakistan’s agriculture, IT, mining, minerals, and energy sectors.

Photographs released after the closed-door meeting showed PM Shehbaz and Field Marshal Munir exchanging views with President Trump, who appeared cheerful and gave his signature thumbs-up during a group photo.

Originally scheduled for 4:30 pm Washington time, the meeting was delayed by about 30 minutes due to President Trump’s media engagement following the signing of executive orders. The discussion lasted roughly one hour and 20 minutes.

Prior to the meeting, White House press pool photos captured PM Shehbaz and Field Marshal Munir patiently waiting in the Oval Office, while Trump concluded his previous appointment. The army chief was seen interacting with White House staff, and Secretary of State Rubio warmly greeted the Pakistani delegation upon entering the room.

This meeting marks the first formal bilateral engagement between the two leaders since former Prime Minister Imran Khan’s visit to the White House in July 2019 during Trump’s first term.

Before the meeting, President Trump expressed enthusiasm about hosting Pakistan’s leaders, calling both PM Shehbaz and Field Marshal Munir “great guys” and acknowledging the slight delay with a lighthearted comment about their arrival.

Describing Trump as a “man of peace,” PM Shehbaz praised his “sincere” efforts to resolve global conflicts. He commended the US President’s “bold, courageous, and decisive” leadership style and thanked him for his instrumental role in mediating the ceasefire between India and Pakistan during their brief military conflict in May.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Trump’s controversial “hellhole” comment draws sharp backlash in India

India on Thursday criticised as inappropriate a post by US President Donald...

India Buys Iranian Oil in Yuan, Moving Away from Dollar Payments

NEW DELHI: India has made a significant shift in the mechanism for...

Pakistan Mediates US–Iran Talks Amid Deadlock Over Uranium Enrichment

Islamabad: Pakistan is reportedly playing an active diplomatic role in efforts to...

Indonesia’s “Non-Aligned” Stance Questioned as Defense Ties with U.S. Deepen

Jakarta: Indonesia’s long-standing claim of maintaining a non-aligned foreign policy is increasingly...