Home West After Israeli Attacks, US Promises Security Guarantees to Qatar: White House
WestWest Asia

After Israeli Attacks, US Promises Security Guarantees to Qatar: White House

Share
Share

The United States has formally pledged to guarantee Qatar’s security following an Israeli strike on Qatari territory last month, with Washington declaring that any attack on the Gulf state will be treated as a direct threat to America.

According to an executive order signed by US President Donald Trump on Monday, the United States will ensure the “security and territorial integrity” of Qatar in the face of foreign aggression. “In light of the continuing threats to the State of Qatar posed by foreign aggression, it is the policy of the United States to guarantee the security and territorial integrity of the State of Qatar against external attack,” the order stated.

The policy makes clear that in the event of an attack on Qatar, Washington will respond with a full range of options. The executive order authorized the United States to “take all lawful and appropriate measures — including diplomatic, economic, and, if necessary, military — to defend the interests of the United States and of the State of Qatar and to restore peace and stability.”

The announcement follows an Israeli airstrike on Qatari territory on September 9, which targeted Hamas officials meeting to discuss a US-backed peace plan for Gaza. The attack marked a rare strike on Qatari soil and triggered strong diplomatic concern in Washington.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who was in Washington to meet with President Trump, phoned Qatar’s prime minister from the White House to apologise for the incident. The White House said Netanyahu assured Doha that such strikes would not be repeated, marking a sharp reversal from his earlier defiance after ordering the September 9 attack.

Qatar, a key ally of the United States in the Gulf, hosts the region’s largest American military base at Al-Udeid, which serves as a hub for US Central Command operations. The new US security guarantees underscore the strategic importance of Qatar for Washington’s military and diplomatic posture in the Middle East, while also highlighting the delicate balancing act the US faces in managing ties with Israel and Arab states.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Ali al-Zaidi Takes Office as Iraq’s New Prime Minister After Securing Confidence Vote

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s new Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi officially assumed office as prime...

Masoud Pezeshkian Appreciates Pakistan’s Role in Strengthening Ceasefire

TEHRAN: Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, during a meeting with Pakistan’s Interior Minister...

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Attack on nun sparks concern among Jerusalem’s Christian community

JERUSALEM: Footage of an attack on a Catholic nun in Jerusalem shocked...