Home West Asia Hospitals Overwhelmed as 150+ Bodies Retrieved from Gaza’s Rubble
West Asia

Hospitals Overwhelmed as 150+ Bodies Retrieved from Gaza’s Rubble

Share
Share

GAZA CITY: Rescue teams in Gaza have recovered the bodies of more than 150 Palestinians from under the debris of bombed buildings following the recent halt in Israeli airstrikes, allowing emergency crews to access previously unreachable areas, according to reports from Al Jazeera citing Wafa News Agency.

Hospitals across the Gaza Strip received at least 155 bodies, many of which were retrieved from the rubble of residential blocks and public structures destroyed during weeks of relentless Israeli bombardment.

Health authorities said that 135 of the bodies were recovered from beneath collapsed buildings, while others were brought in from open areas and damaged shelters.

The al-Ahli Arab Hospital in Gaza City reported receiving 60 bodies, while al-Shifa Hospital, also in Gaza City, received 43. In the southern city of Khan Younis, Nasser Hospital took in 32 bodies. Meanwhile, 16 bodies were delivered to Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir el-Balah, and four to al-Awda Hospital in Nuseirat refugee camp.

Rescue efforts intensified soon after the bombing paused, as Palestinian civil defence workers and volunteers combed through the ruins using limited equipment and their bare hands. Emergency teams described the devastation as “beyond comprehension,” with many families still searching for missing relatives feared buried under the wreckage.

Officials in Gaza have repeatedly warned that the true death toll is likely far higher than reported figures, as hundreds of destroyed buildings remain inaccessible due to the extent of the damage and the shortage of heavy machinery and fuel.

The halt in Israeli airstrikes came amid international pressure to allow humanitarian operations and recovery efforts in the besieged enclave. However, medical workers have stressed that hospitals are overwhelmed, short of supplies, and struggling to handle the influx of bodies and injured survivors.

Since the start of the war, Gaza’s health ministry has recorded tens of thousands of deaths, with many more unaccounted for under the ruins of homes, mosques, and schools that were reduced to rubble during Israel’s months-long offensive.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Ali al-Zaidi Takes Office as Iraq’s New Prime Minister After Securing Confidence Vote

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s new Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi officially assumed office as prime...

Masoud Pezeshkian Appreciates Pakistan’s Role in Strengthening Ceasefire

TEHRAN: Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, during a meeting with Pakistan’s Interior Minister...

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Attack on nun sparks concern among Jerusalem’s Christian community

JERUSALEM: Footage of an attack on a Catholic nun in Jerusalem shocked...