Home GeoPolitics Khamenei Dismisses Possibility of Talks with Trump Administration
GeoPoliticsWest Asia

Khamenei Dismisses Possibility of Talks with Trump Administration

Share
Share

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Monday firmly rejected an offer from US President Donald Trump to resume negotiations over Tehran’s nuclear programme, calling the American leader a “bully” and accusing Washington of trying to impose its will through coercion rather than diplomacy.

Khamenei’s remarks, broadcast on state television, came after months of tension between Tehran and Washington, following a series of indirect talks that collapsed in June after a 12-day bombing campaign by Israeli and US forces targeting Iranian nuclear facilities.

“The US president claims to be a dealmaker,” Khamenei said. “But when a deal is shaped through pressure and its outcome is already decided, it is not a negotiation — it is an act of bullying.” He said Iran would not “negotiate under threats” or “submit to dictates from powers that seek to weaken the nation’s sovereignty.”


Rejection of US Claims on Iran’s Nuclear Sites

The Iranian leader also dismissed Trump’s claim that the US had destroyed Iran’s nuclear capabilities in its June airstrikes. “The US president proudly says they bombed and destroyed Iran’s nuclear industry. Very well, keep dreaming!” Khamenei said.

He added that Washington’s repeated interference in Iran’s internal affairs was unacceptable. “What does it have to do with America whether Iran has nuclear facilities or not? These interventions are inappropriate, wrong and coercive.”

His comments directly challenged Washington’s assertions that the strikes crippled Iran’s nuclear programme. Independent analysts have since confirmed that Iran has resumed limited uranium enrichment at several underground sites that survived the bombardment.


Tehran Ends Cooperation with UN Nuclear Watchdog

In a move likely to deepen the standoff, Tehran announced on Monday that it had formally ended its cooperation agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). The announcement was made by Ali Larijani, the secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council.

Larijani said that Iran no longer recognised the previous framework for inspections and data sharing that had been in place since 2015. “Our patience has limits,” he said, accusing the IAEA of “politicising its mission” and “acting under pressure from Washington and its allies.”

This step marks a significant setback for the UN watchdog, which had been trying to restore cooperation with Tehran following the June attacks. The IAEA has not yet issued a formal response but said it remained “committed to engaging with Iran through diplomatic channels.”


Background: A Growing Rift Between Tehran and Washington

The tensions come against the backdrop of President Trump’s renewed push for direct engagement with Iran following the ceasefire in Gaza between Israel and Hamas. In a speech to Israel’s parliament last week, Trump said it would be “great if Washington could also reach a peace deal with Tehran.”

However, Iranian officials view Trump’s remarks as disingenuous, arguing that the United States cannot claim to seek peace while maintaining sanctions and supporting military actions against Iran.

Western nations have long accused Tehran of attempting to develop nuclear weapons under the guise of a civilian energy programme — an allegation Iran vehemently denies. Iranian authorities insist their enrichment activities are strictly for peaceful purposes, including medical research and electricity generation.

Despite the latest setback, some analysts believe diplomatic channels remain open through intermediaries such as Qatar and Oman. Yet, with Tehran hardening its stance and the US maintaining sanctions, prospects for renewed talks appear increasingly dim.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

International Force for Gaza: Indonesia, Morocco, Kosovo Among Contributors

Five Countries Pledge Troops for Gaza Under New International Stabilization Plan as Hamas Rejects Initiative. Indonesia, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania have pledged...

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops from Syria over the next two months, ending a nearly decade-long...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes on Iran could have serious repercussions for the international community. In...

Related Articles

International Force for Gaza: Indonesia, Morocco, Kosovo Among Contributors

Five Countries Pledge Troops for Gaza Under New International Stabilization Plan as...

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes...

U.S. Deploys Largest Air Power Force to Middle East Since 2003 Iraq Invasion

The United States has moved an unprecedented concentration of air and naval...