Home West Asia Netanyahu Faces Turkish Arrest Warrant for Alleged War Crimes in Gaza
West Asia

Netanyahu Faces Turkish Arrest Warrant for Alleged War Crimes in Gaza

Share
Share

Turkey has issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other senior Israeli officials, accusing them of genocide and crimes against humanity linked to Israel’s ongoing war in Gaza. The Istanbul prosecutor’s office released a statement on Friday naming 37 suspects, including Defence Minister Israel Katz, National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, and army chief Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir, though the full list was not published. According to the statement, the officials are accused of “systematically perpetrating” atrocities in Gaza since October 2023.

The move underscores Turkey’s continued criticism of Israel, following its participation last year alongside South Africa in a genocide case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ). The statement also highlighted the bombing of the “Turkish-Palestinian Friendship Hospital” in Gaza by Israeli forces in March, which Israel dismissed as a “PR stunt.” Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar responded sharply on X, condemning the move as a propaganda tactic by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Hamas welcomed Turkey’s announcement, praising it as a “commendable measure” that reflects the commitment of the Turkish people and leadership to justice, humanity, and solidarity with the Palestinian people. The Turkish action follows last year’s International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrants against Netanyahu and former Defence Minister Yoav Gallant for alleged war crimes in Gaza. Since the outbreak of the conflict in October 2023, at least 68,875 Palestinians have been killed and 170,679 injured, according to reports.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Ali al-Zaidi Takes Office as Iraq’s New Prime Minister After Securing Confidence Vote

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s new Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi officially assumed office as prime...

Masoud Pezeshkian Appreciates Pakistan’s Role in Strengthening Ceasefire

TEHRAN: Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, during a meeting with Pakistan’s Interior Minister...

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Attack on nun sparks concern among Jerusalem’s Christian community

JERUSALEM: Footage of an attack on a Catholic nun in Jerusalem shocked...