Home West Asia Israel Rejects Inclusion of Turkish Forces in Proposed Gaza Peace Mission
West Asia

Israel Rejects Inclusion of Turkish Forces in Proposed Gaza Peace Mission

Share
Share

JERUSALEM: Israel has firmly stated that Turkish soldiers will not be part of any multinational force deployed to Gaza, despite ongoing US efforts to establish an international stabilization mission. “There will be no Turkish boots on the ground,” said Israeli government spokesperson Shosh Bedrosian on Sunday.

The proposed multinational force is part of US President Donald Trump’s plan to end the two-year war in Gaza, aimed at gradually transferring security responsibilities from the Israeli military to an international contingent. The force, however, has not yet been formally established and may require a United Nations Security Council mandate.

While US officials, including Ambassador to Turkey Tom Barrack, have suggested that Turkey could participate, Israel’s position remains firm. Vice President JD Vance noted last month that Ankara could play a “constructive role,” but emphasized that Washington would not impose foreign troops on Israeli soil.


Return of Israeli Soldier’s Remains from Gaza

In a separate development, Israel received the remains of Lieutenant Hadar Goldin, an officer killed during the 2014 Gaza war. Hamas claims to have found Goldin’s remains in a tunnel in Rafah. Following the identification process, Israeli authorities informed Goldin’s family that the remains had been officially returned.

The coffin was transferred via the Red Cross and handed over to personnel from the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) and Shin Bet inside Gaza. The recovery is part of a broader effort under the US-brokered ceasefire deal to repatriate the remains of Israeli soldiers.

Goldin, 23, was killed on August 1, 2014, while serving in a unit tasked with locating and destroying Hamas tunnels. Hours after a 72-hour humanitarian ceasefire began, Hamas fighters reportedly ambushed his team, resulting in his death and the seizure of his body.


Ceasefire and Prisoner Exchange Updates

Since the start of the current truce, Hamas has released all 20 living Israeli prisoners and returned 23 of the 28 deceased. In exchange, Israel released nearly 2,000 Palestinians previously held in its custody and returned the bodies of hundreds of Hamas fighters killed in Gaza.

Goldin’s father, Simcha Goldin, emphasized that true victory would only be achieved when all hostages and soldiers are returned home. “What this war has proven is that when we fight for our soldiers, we succeed. Victory means bringing home the hostages and bringing home our soldiers to Israel,” he said in a statement. Another Israeli soldier, Oron Shaul, who also fell during the 2014 war, had his remains recovered earlier this year during the latest escalation in October 2023.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Ali al-Zaidi Takes Office as Iraq’s New Prime Minister After Securing Confidence Vote

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s new Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi officially assumed office as prime...

Masoud Pezeshkian Appreciates Pakistan’s Role in Strengthening Ceasefire

TEHRAN: Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, during a meeting with Pakistan’s Interior Minister...

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Attack on nun sparks concern among Jerusalem’s Christian community

JERUSALEM: Footage of an attack on a Catholic nun in Jerusalem shocked...