Home West Asia Generals Dismissed as Israel Reviews Security Lapses of October 7
West Asia

Generals Dismissed as Israel Reviews Security Lapses of October 7

Share
Share

JERUSALEM: Israel’s military has dismissed three generals and taken disciplinary action against several other senior officers over their inability to prevent the October 2023 Hamas attack, which remains the deadliest assault in the country’s history.

The decision follows recent remarks by Israeli military chief Eyal Zamir, who had urged a comprehensive and “systemic investigation” into the security failures that allowed Hamas militants to breach Israel’s defenses. Despite growing public calls for accountability, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government has yet to approve the formation of a state commission of inquiry.

According to the military’s statement issued on Sunday, the three dismissed generals included divisional commanders, one of whom previously served as Israel’s military intelligence chief. The army said the officers bore “personal responsibility” for intelligence lapses and operational shortcomings that made the attack possible.

All three generals had already tendered their resignations earlier, including General Yaron Finkelman, the former head of the southern command. The new measures formalize their removal from military roles.

The announcement also confirmed disciplinary steps against the heads of Israel’s navy and air force, along with actions targeting four additional generals and several high-ranking officers. The military emphasized that the review process was ongoing and aimed at restoring public confidence in Israel’s security apparatus.

The question of whether Netanyahu himself might face political or legal scrutiny remains unresolved. For the past two years, the prime minister has repeatedly insisted that responsibility for the failures surrounding October 7 should only be assessed after the conflict in Gaza concludes. However, polling indicates broad public support for an independent inquiry to determine accountability at the highest levels of government.


Fragile Gaza Ceasefire Under Strain Amid New Killings

In Gaza, Israeli forces killed three Palestinians near the demarcation line separating areas under Israeli control on Monday, highlighting ongoing challenges in maintaining a ceasefire agreement reached more than six weeks ago.

Palestinian medical officials reported that two people were killed and another wounded when an Israeli drone fired a missile east of Khan Younis. In a separate incident, a tank shell killed another person on the eastern outskirts of Gaza City.

The Israeli military said troops opened fire after identifying fighters who had crossed the so-called yellow line and were closing in on soldiers, describing the acts as an immediate threat.

Although Hamas and Israel agreed to a truce on October 9, ending nearly two years of devastating conflict, the deal left major political and territorial disputes unresolved. Both sides have since accused each other of violating the ceasefire, hampering efforts to implement a US-backed 20-point peace plan for Gaza.


Diplomacy Continues Amid Rising Tensions

International diplomatic efforts continued over the weekend. Former British prime minister Tony Blair—who helped shape the American peace plan and whom President Trump has said could join its oversight board—held discussions with Palestinian Authority deputy leader Hussein al-Sheikh in the West Bank. Sheikh said the talks focused on next steps following the UN Security Council resolution and the need to ensure Palestinian rights and self-determination.

In Cairo, a Hamas delegation led by exiled leader Khalil al-Hayya met Egyptian officials to discuss the future stages of the ceasefire. Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem confirmed that talks centered on stabilizing the truce and negotiating further arrangements.

Meanwhile, Gaza’s health ministry reported on Monday that at least 342 Palestinians had been killed by Israeli fire since the start of the truce, underscoring the fragile and frequently violated nature of the agreement.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops from Syria over the next two months, ending a nearly decade-long...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes on Iran could have serious repercussions for the international community. In...

U.S. Deploys Largest Air Power Force to Middle East Since 2003 Iraq Invasion

The United States has moved an unprecedented concentration of air and naval assets to the Middle East, marking the largest deployment of U.S....

Related Articles

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes...

Iran Launches Missiles in Hormuz Amid Nuclear Negotiations

Iran conducted live missile drills in the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday,...

Nearly 100 Countries and Three Blocs Condemn West Bank Annexation

JERUSALEM: Israeli authorities barred a senior imam of the Al Aqsa Mosque...