Home Asia East & South Asia Clashes in Ladakh Leave Five Protesters Dead Amid Autonomy Demand
East & South Asia

Clashes in Ladakh Leave Five Protesters Dead Amid Autonomy Demand

Share
Share

At least four people were killed and dozens more injured on Wednesday when protests in India-held Ladakh spiraled into violence, according to local sources. Demonstrators demanding statehood for the federally administered territory and job quotas for residents clashed with police in Leh, triggering a deadly confrontation.

The Himalayan region, a Buddhist-Muslim enclave, lost its autonomy in 2019 when Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government split Ladakh from the disputed state of Jammu and Kashmir and placed it under New Delhi’s direct administration. Since then, calls for statehood and constitutional safeguards have grown louder, with protesters insisting that Ladakh be granted special status and elected local bodies to protect its tribal character.

Wednesday’s violence came amid a protest campaign led by prominent environmentalist and activist Sonam Wangchuk. Demonstrators torched several buildings, including the office of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Leh, while an abandoned police vehicle was also set ablaze. Television footage broadcast across India showed flames engulfing the vehicle as tear gas clouds filled the streets.

Thupstan Tswang, chairman of the Leh Apex Body, confirmed the deaths of several demonstrators. “During this violence, 2–3 of our youth have died for our cause… I want to reassure the people of Ladakh that we will not let the sacrifices of these youth go to waste. We will keep trying to get our demands fulfilled,” he said, vowing that the movement for statehood would continue.

Police officials reported that more than 50 people were injured in the clashes, including at least 20 security personnel. Witnesses described chaotic scenes as young men hurled stones at police, who responded with batons and tear gas. A senior officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, blamed “growing frustration among the youth” for the outbreak of violence.

Activist Sonam Wangchuk, who had been on a hunger strike for two weeks to press Ladakh’s demands, announced an end to his fast following the violence. “This is not a solution to Ladakh’s problem,” he said. “If our youth have sorrow and pain that we are on hunger strike, then we are breaking our hunger strike from today.” Wangchuk urged young people to avoid violence, stressing that the movement must remain peaceful despite the heavy losses.

The unrest marks one of the deadliest episodes since Ladakh’s autonomy was revoked, underscoring the growing discontent in the strategic border region, which is home to both Buddhist and Muslim communities and shares frontiers with China and Pakistan.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

International Force for Gaza: Indonesia, Morocco, Kosovo Among Contributors

Five Countries Pledge Troops for Gaza Under New International Stabilization Plan as Hamas Rejects Initiative. Indonesia, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania have pledged...

U.S. Set to End Military Presence in Syria, Sources Report

The United States is preparing to withdraw the approximately 1,000 remaining troops from Syria over the next two months, ending a nearly decade-long...

Lavrov Warns New U.S. Strikes on Iran Could Have Serious Global Consequences

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that any new military strikes on Iran could have serious repercussions for the international community. In...

Related Articles

Bangladesh Holds State Funeral for Former PM Khaleda Zia

Bangladesh on Wednesday bid a final farewell to former prime minister Khaleda...

Bangladesh PM Hopeful Returns After 17 Years in Exile Ahead of Polls

DHAKA: Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) acting chairman Tarique Rahman returned to Dhaka...

Bangladesh Calls India’s Statement on Delhi Protest ‘Inaccurate’

DHAKA: Bangladesh has firmly rejected India’s characterization of a protest outside the...

Japan Set to Resume Operations at World’s Largest Nuclear Plant, 15 Years After Fukushima

NIIGATA, JAPAN: Japan took a major step toward reviving its nuclear energy...