Home GeoPolitics Israeli Drone Strike Hits UN Peacekeepers
GeoPoliticsUN

Israeli Drone Strike Hits UN Peacekeepers

Share
Share

BEIRUT – The United Nations said on Wednesday that Israeli drones dropped four grenades near UN peacekeepers operating in southern Lebanon, marking a serious escalation along the volatile border.

The incident occurred on Tuesday and was condemned by the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), which described it as “one of the most serious attacks” on the mission since the ceasefire that ended last year’s conflict between Israel and Hezbollah in November. UNIFIL confirmed that no peacekeepers were injured in the incident, but emphasized the gravity of the situation, as it endangered the lives of unarmed personnel performing their duties under international mandate.

In response, the Israeli military acknowledged the drone activity but stated there was “no intentional fire” directed at UN forces. Israel said it is investigating the incident and maintains that the attack was not deliberate. Tensions have been rising along the Israel-Lebanon border in recent weeks, with multiple cross-border incidents raising fears of renewed conflict between Israel and the Iran-backed Hezbollah group. UNIFIL has called for all parties to exercise maximum restraint and to respect the safety and freedom of movement of peacekeepers, in line with United Nations Security Council resolutions.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal...

Trump Opts for Phone Diplomacy in Talks with Iran Amid Deadlock

Washington: Donald Trump on Sunday indicated that peace talks between Washington and...