Home West Pentagon Moves Ahead with Strategy to Cut Back Iraq Mission
West

Pentagon Moves Ahead with Strategy to Cut Back Iraq Mission

Share
Share

WASHINGTON: The Pentagon reaffirmed on Tuesday its commitment to scaling back the American military presence in Iraq, saying the Iraqi government will increasingly take the lead in combating remnants of Daesh within its borders. A U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the transition will shift much of Washington’s counterterrorism focus to Syria, with U.S. personnel relocating primarily to Iraq’s Kurdistan region.

At the start of 2025, the U.S. maintained roughly 2,500 troops in Iraq and over 900 in neighboring Syria as part of the international coalition formed in 2014 to defeat Daesh. Once the drawdown is completed, fewer than 2,000 U.S. troops will remain in Iraq, most of them stationed in Erbil. Troops in Baghdad will pivot to traditional security cooperation with the Iraqi military rather than direct counter-ISIS operations.

“ISIS no longer poses a sustained threat to the government of Iraq or to the U.S. homeland from Iraqi territory,” a senior defense official said. “This milestone allows us to responsibly transition security responsibilities to Iraq’s leadership.”

The move is expected to strengthen Baghdad politically, as successive Iraqi governments have voiced concerns that the U.S. troop presence fuels instability and invites attacks from Iran-backed groups. Washington has already agreed to transfer control of Ain al-Asad airbase in western Anbar province to Iraqi forces, though that process remains ongoing.

While a similar drawdown is planned in Syria, U.S. officials emphasize that it remains conditions-based. The persistent risk of Daesh resurgence—particularly with thousands of fighters still held in makeshift prisons—continues to worry Washington and its allies.

Syria remains volatile following the overthrow of Bashar al-Assad last year by rebel forces led by President Ahmed al-Sharaa, a former al Qaeda commander. Regional and Western leaders have warned that Daesh may exploit the political turbulence to regroup and launch fresh attacks.

President Donald Trump, who met with Sharaa in Riyadh earlier this year, has publicly supported continued counterterrorism vigilance in Syria, even as the U.S. scales back in Iraq.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Keir Starmer signals possible ban on some pro-Palestinian marches

LONDON: Keir Starmer said in an interview broadcast on Saturday that banning...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal...

Trump Opts for Phone Diplomacy in Talks with Iran Amid Deadlock

Washington: Donald Trump on Sunday indicated that peace talks between Washington and...