Home Asia East & South Asia Russia, Iran Discuss Building Small Modular Nuclear Power Plants
East & South AsiaGeoPolitics

Russia, Iran Discuss Building Small Modular Nuclear Power Plants

Share
Share

Moscow: Russia is holding talks with Iran on the possible construction of small modular nuclear power plants (NPPs) in the Islamic Republic of Iran, with hopes of finalizing agreements in the near future, Rosatom Chief Executive Alexey Likhachev said in an interview with Rossiya-1 TV.

According to Likhachev, the initiative came from Tehran earlier this year. “In early 2025, Iran proposed expanding our nuclear energy cooperation to include the construction of small modular NPPs on its territory,” he said. “Negotiations are ongoing, and I believe it is only a matter of time before agreements are reached.”

He highlighted Russia’s longstanding role in Iran’s nuclear program, noting Moscow’s contribution to resolving the Iranian nuclear issue and its active involvement in shaping and implementing the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

Russia, he added, has provided both technical support and diplomatic backing to Tehran over the years.Small modular nuclear power plants are considered an emerging technology for providing clean, stable electricity to areas with limited infrastructure.

Their deployment in Iran could open a new chapter in nuclear cooperation between Moscow and Tehran.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal...

Trump Opts for Phone Diplomacy in Talks with Iran Amid Deadlock

Washington: Donald Trump on Sunday indicated that peace talks between Washington and...