Home West Asia 120 Iranian Nationals Set to Arrive Home After US Deportation
West Asia

120 Iranian Nationals Set to Arrive Home After US Deportation

Share
Share

Iran announced on Tuesday that 120 of its nationals are being deported from the United States this week under President Donald Trump’s toughened immigration policies.

Hossein Noushabadi, an official with Iran’s foreign ministry consular affairs, told the Tasnim news agency that the group is part of a larger crackdown. “The US immigration service has decided to deport around 400 Iranians currently in the United States, most of them after entering illegally,” he said.

According to The New York Times, about 100 of those deported had sought refuge in the US, but are now being sent back to Iran under a rare agreement reached between Washington and Tehran. The deal, described as the outcome of months of quiet negotiations, highlights an unusual instance of cooperation between the two longtime adversaries.

US authorities reportedly chartered an aircraft that departed from Louisiana on Monday evening, making a stopover in Qatar before heading to Tehran. The deportations are seen as the Trump administration’s most forceful effort yet to expel migrants to countries with documented human rights concerns. The US State Department declined to immediately comment when contacted by AFP.

Earlier this year, American authorities deported several other Iranian nationals — many of them Christians — to Central American countries such as Costa Rica and Panama, rather than repatriating them to Iran. The latest expulsions, however, mark a significant shift as deportations directly to Tehran resume, raising concerns among rights groups about the fate of those returning under Iran’s strict political and social climate.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Ali al-Zaidi Takes Office as Iraq’s New Prime Minister After Securing Confidence Vote

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s new Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi officially assumed office as prime...

Masoud Pezeshkian Appreciates Pakistan’s Role in Strengthening Ceasefire

TEHRAN: Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, during a meeting with Pakistan’s Interior Minister...

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Attack on nun sparks concern among Jerusalem’s Christian community

JERUSALEM: Footage of an attack on a Catholic nun in Jerusalem shocked...