Home Asia East & South Asia 3 killed, several injured as 5.7-magnitude earthquake jolts
East & South Asia

3 killed, several injured as 5.7-magnitude earthquake jolts

Share
Share

A magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck Bangladesh on Friday, leaving at least three people dead and injuring several others, police confirmed. The tremor caused damage across multiple areas, including the capital Dhaka, one of the world’s most crowded cities. Authorities reported cracked walls, falling debris, and structural damage in several neighbourhoods.

The U.S. Geological Survey identified the quake’s epicentre in Narsingdi, a city located roughly 40 kilometres east of Dhaka. The tremors were powerful enough to be felt across the border in India’s eastern states, though officials there said no major damage had been reported so far.

In Dhaka, panicked residents fled apartment blocks and office buildings as the ground shook. Witnesses described scenes of chaos as people ran onto the streets while makeshift structures and construction materials collapsed around them. Police said the three fatalities occurred when a railing on a six-storey building gave way during the quake.

“We felt a strong jolt and the buildings were shaking like they were swaying in the wind,” said Dhaka resident Suman Rahman. “People were rushing down the stairs all at once. Children were screaming, and everyone was terrified.”

Emergency services reported multiple injuries after pieces of brickwork and loose cement fell from construction sites. Office workers in the capital described furniture rattling violently and entire floors trembling. “I’ve never experienced anything like this,” said Sadman Sakib, an employee at a private firm in Dhaka. “We ran outside immediately and found the streets already crowded with people.”

As rescue teams assessed the damage, the head of Bangladesh’s interim government, Muhammad Yunus, urged the public to stay calm and avoid misinformation. In a statement, he advised people to remain alert and rely only on official channels for updates. Helplines and emergency guidance would be provided as needed, he added, reassuring citizens that authorities were working to ensure their safety.

The quake triggered widespread fear but also prompted a swift response from local police, firefighters, and municipal authorities. Assessment teams continued inspecting damaged buildings throughout the afternoon, while residents hesitated to return indoors amid concerns about aftershocks.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Trump’s controversial “hellhole” comment draws sharp backlash in India

India on Thursday criticised as inappropriate a post by US President Donald...

India Buys Iranian Oil in Yuan, Moving Away from Dollar Payments

NEW DELHI: India has made a significant shift in the mechanism for...

Pakistan Mediates US–Iran Talks Amid Deadlock Over Uranium Enrichment

Islamabad: Pakistan is reportedly playing an active diplomatic role in efforts to...

Indonesia’s “Non-Aligned” Stance Questioned as Defense Ties with U.S. Deepen

Jakarta: Indonesia’s long-standing claim of maintaining a non-aligned foreign policy is increasingly...