Home Asia East & South Asia Dhaka Rocked by Series of Petrol Bomb Incidents
East & South Asia

Dhaka Rocked by Series of Petrol Bomb Incidents

Share
Share

Dhaka, Bangladesh — A series of petrol bomb attacks struck Bangladesh’s capital on Monday, targeting several locations including a building linked to interim leader Muhammad Yunus, police said. Remarkably, the attacks caused no injuries, though they have heightened security concerns in the city.

The Dhaka Metropolitan Police reported that a 28-year-old man had been arrested in connection with the incidents. Authorities identified him as a member of the student wing of the outlawed Awami League, the former ruling party of Sheikh Hasina, whose government was ousted during a deadly uprising in August 2024. The suspect is currently under interrogation for his alleged role in multiple attacks.

According to police statements, the assaults began overnight on Friday with petrol bombs hurled at St Mary’s Cathedral and a Catholic school in Dhaka, causing property damage but no casualties. Early on Monday, attackers targeted the offices of Grameen Bank, the microfinance institution founded by Nobel laureate Yunus, who assumed leadership following Hasina’s removal from power.

Other targets included a business property owned by Farida Akhtar, a cabinet member in Yunus’ interim government, as well as two buses and a hospital. Authorities have intensified a citywide manhunt to apprehend all individuals responsible for these “heinous and cowardly acts of violence,” according to police.

The attacks underscore the growing political instability in Bangladesh as parties prepare for the country’s first elections since Hasina’s ouster, expected in February 2026. Election campaigns, which began in early November, have already been marred by violence. A campaign rally on Wednesday left one person dead and two others, including a candidate, wounded.

Bangladesh continues to grapple with a wave of political and mob-related violence. Police have issued rewards for the surrender of more than 1,300 firearms, including rifles, machine guns, and pistols, looted during last year’s unrest.

Amid the escalating tension, residents expressed fear and uncertainty about the country’s direction. “We had some bitter experiences before, and now I am afraid whether I will be a victim,” said Mushfiqua Islam, a 32-year-old university teacher in Dhaka, reflecting widespread concern among citizens over the spiraling violence.


Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Trump’s controversial “hellhole” comment draws sharp backlash in India

India on Thursday criticised as inappropriate a post by US President Donald...

India Buys Iranian Oil in Yuan, Moving Away from Dollar Payments

NEW DELHI: India has made a significant shift in the mechanism for...

Pakistan Mediates US–Iran Talks Amid Deadlock Over Uranium Enrichment

Islamabad: Pakistan is reportedly playing an active diplomatic role in efforts to...

Indonesia’s “Non-Aligned” Stance Questioned as Defense Ties with U.S. Deepen

Jakarta: Indonesia’s long-standing claim of maintaining a non-aligned foreign policy is increasingly...