Home West Asia Hamas Vows to Uphold Ceasefire and Return Bodies of Israelis Killed in Gaza
West Asia

Hamas Vows to Uphold Ceasefire and Return Bodies of Israelis Killed in Gaza

Share
Share

GAZA CITY: The Palestinian group Hamas has reiterated its commitment to the current ceasefire agreement with Israel and pledged to return the bodies of all remaining Israeli hostages in Gaza, though it warned that the process could take time due to extensive war damage.

In a statement reported by AFP, Hamas said it was working to locate and recover the corpses of Israeli captives who died during the months-long conflict. The group explained that the task had been complicated by the widespread destruction across Gaza, where many areas were reduced to rubble during Israeli air and ground offensives.

“The process of returning the corpses of Israeli prisoners may require some time, as some of these corpses were buried in tunnels destroyed by the occupation, while others remain under the rubble of buildings it bombed and demolished,” Hamas said.

The group added that it remains fully committed to implementing all aspects of the US-brokered ceasefire deal, which brought an end to intense fighting that had claimed thousands of lives and devastated the Gaza Strip.

Israel, however, has cautioned that the truce could collapse if Hamas fails to deliver on its promises. Defence Minister Israel Katz warned earlier this week that the Israeli military would resume operations “in coordination with the United States” if Hamas does not comply with the agreement or delays the return of hostages’ remains.

The exchange of bodies and the recovery of missing persons have emerged as key elements of the fragile ceasefire deal, with international mediators urging both sides to adhere strictly to its terms to prevent a renewal of hostilities.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Ali al-Zaidi Takes Office as Iraq’s New Prime Minister After Securing Confidence Vote

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s new Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi officially assumed office as prime...

Masoud Pezeshkian Appreciates Pakistan’s Role in Strengthening Ceasefire

TEHRAN: Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, during a meeting with Pakistan’s Interior Minister...

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Attack on nun sparks concern among Jerusalem’s Christian community

JERUSALEM: Footage of an attack on a Catholic nun in Jerusalem shocked...