Home UN Palestinian Leader Abbas Pledges Partnership with Trump on Gaza
UNWest Asia

Palestinian Leader Abbas Pledges Partnership with Trump on Gaza

Share
Share

At the United Nations General Assembly on Thursday, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas expressed his commitment to working with U.S. President Donald Trump, Saudi Arabia, France, and the United Nations on a comprehensive peace plan for Gaza. This plan, which has received overwhelming support from the 193-member UN body, aims to advance a two-state solution and bring an end to the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas militants in Gaza.

The declaration, spanning seven pages, was the outcome of an international conference held in July at the UN, co-hosted by Saudi Arabia and France, focused on addressing the long-standing Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Notably, the United States and Israel boycotted this event and have rejected the international efforts outlined there.

In a related development, U.S. Special Envoy Steve Witkoff revealed that President Trump presented a 21-point peace plan for the Middle East and Gaza during meetings with leaders of several Muslim-majority countries on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly earlier this week.

Due to the U.S. refusal to grant him a visa to travel to New York, Abbas delivered his address to the assembly via video. In his speech, Abbas condemned the actions of Hamas during the October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, stating that such violence did not represent the Palestinian people or their legitimate struggle for freedom and independence.

Abbas reaffirmed that Gaza remains an integral part of the State of Palestine and expressed the Palestinian leadership’s readiness to assume full responsibility for governance and security in the territory. He emphasized that Hamas would have no role in governance and must relinquish its weapons to the Palestinian National Authority, reiterating the Palestinians’ desire not to establish an armed state.

These points align closely with the UN General Assembly’s endorsed declaration. Abbas declared, “We are ready to work with President Donald Trump, with Saudi Arabia, France, the United Nations, and all partners to implement the peace plan” supported by the international community.

The current conflict in Gaza was triggered by the October 7 Hamas attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,200 people and the capture of approximately 251 hostages, according to Israeli figures. Since then, over 65,000 people—mostly civilians—have been killed in the ensuing war, as reported by local health authorities, marking one of the deadliest conflicts in recent history.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Ali al-Zaidi Takes Office as Iraq’s New Prime Minister After Securing Confidence Vote

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s new Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi officially assumed office as prime...

Masoud Pezeshkian Appreciates Pakistan’s Role in Strengthening Ceasefire

TEHRAN: Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, during a meeting with Pakistan’s Interior Minister...

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked...

Attack on nun sparks concern among Jerusalem’s Christian community

JERUSALEM: Footage of an attack on a Catholic nun in Jerusalem shocked...