Home Asia East & South Asia Jakarta suspends TikTok registration over compliance concerns
East & South Asia

Jakarta suspends TikTok registration over compliance concerns

Share
Share

JAKARTA, Oct 3, 2025 — Indonesia has suspended TikTok’s registration status as an electronic system provider after accusing the company of failing to comply with data-sharing requirements, the communications and digital ministry announced on Friday.

Officials said TikTok, which has more than 100 million users in the country, failed to fully hand over data related to its live-streaming feature, particularly during a wave of nationwide protests earlier this year.

Alexander Sabar, a senior ministry official, said in a statement that some TikTok accounts were allegedly linked to online gambling networks and had monetised live streams during demonstrations against lawmakers’ allowances and police brutality in August and September.

TikTok temporarily disabled its live feature during the unrest, saying the move was aimed at maintaining a “safe and civil space.” But authorities later demanded access to traffic, streaming, and monetisation records. According to Sabar, the company provided only partial information, citing internal procedures.

“As TikTok failed to meet its obligations as a registered private electronic provider, the ministry decided to suspend its registration,” Sabar said.

Under Indonesian regulations, all digital platforms registered with the government must hand over operational data for supervisory purposes or risk suspension and potential blocking.

Despite the suspension, TikTok remained accessible in Indonesia on Friday, with Reuters reporters able to use the app without disruption. The government has not clarified whether a full ban is under consideration.

ByteDance, TikTok’s China-based parent company, has not issued a response to the suspension, and requests for comment from the ministry went unanswered.

The move highlights growing scrutiny of global social media platforms in Southeast Asia’s largest economy, where the government has tightened regulations on digital content and demanded greater access to data from tech giants.

Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Iran military warns US forces will be attacked if they enter Strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN: Iran’s military said on Monday that US forces would be attacked if they entered the Strait of Hormuz, following US President Donald...

Donald Trump claims Iran wants Hormuz Strait reopened soon

Washington: Donald Trump said Iran had informed him it was in a “state of collapse” and was trying to determine its leadership situation,...

Trump Unimpressed by Iran’s New Plan to End Conflict: US Official

Washington: US President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the two-month war, a US official said, dampening hopes...

Related Articles

Trump’s controversial “hellhole” comment draws sharp backlash in India

India on Thursday criticised as inappropriate a post by US President Donald...

India Buys Iranian Oil in Yuan, Moving Away from Dollar Payments

NEW DELHI: India has made a significant shift in the mechanism for...

Pakistan Mediates US–Iran Talks Amid Deadlock Over Uranium Enrichment

Islamabad: Pakistan is reportedly playing an active diplomatic role in efforts to...

Indonesia’s “Non-Aligned” Stance Questioned as Defense Ties with U.S. Deepen

Jakarta: Indonesia’s long-standing claim of maintaining a non-aligned foreign policy is increasingly...